Bride and groom walking together in a harbour

A Celebrant writes and performs ceremonies for many special occasions.

I write and perform ceremonies for:

  • Wedding Celebration Ceremony.
  • Civil Partnership Celebration Ceremony.
  • Renewal of Marriage Vows Ceremony.
  • Commitment Ceremony.

A celebrant may be called upon for a variety of reasons, but with regards to weddings/civil partnership celebration ceremonies, more often than not it is because a person/couple do not feel that their needs are being met by the state (registry office) or the church.

It may be that you are not religious and that the office will not allow you to make the personal touches that you feel appropriate for your special day.

Currently, as the law stands, couples who wish to get married must either get married in:

  • a Register Office
  • premises approved by the local authority such as a hotel
  • a church of the Church of England, Church in Wales, Church of Ireland, Presbyterian or Roman Catholic Church in N. Ireland (opposite sex couples only)

There are other exceptions, but in the main this is true for most British marriages.

A Civil Celebrant does not conduct legally binding marriages, but performs ceremonies that are highly personalized and tailored to your needs.  You may hold your ceremony anywhere at any time of day and with whoever you wish present.

You will however still need to sign the paperwork at your local registry office.  Fees for this vary from county to county and you should contact your local authority with regards to this.